Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole organic chicken (about 3-4 pounds)
- ¼ sliced yellow onion
- ½ sliced lemon
- 8-10 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- 1 teaspoon dry rosemary 1/4 teaspoon if using rosemary powder
- ½ teaspoon marjoram may omit if not on hand
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Allow chicken to rest 30 minutes at room temperature
- Combine garlic, sage, rosemary, marjoram, olive oil, salt and pepper. Rub chicken well with herb seasoning both under and over skin.
- Place sliced onion and lemon inside chicken and sprinkle additional kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast chicken at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours in oven. Consider roasting on outdoor grill during summer months. This is best done in cast iron roasting pan on outdoor grill at 300 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours. Internal temperature should reach 160 degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest 15 minutes prior to slicing to retain moisture.
- Remove any remaining chicken from bones prior to storing in glass container with tight fitting lid, reserving chicken cacass for bonebroth or stock.